Friday, May 13, 2011

Two Weeks!

Only 2 weeks until my Irish adventure begins. To catch everyone up...I am participating in the Mesa Community College Study Abroad Ireland (SAI) program. We leave on May 27, and return on June 27, 2011. Myself and about 35? other students will spend the month in Athlone which is right in the center of Ireland between Dublin and Galway. We will be staying in student apartments on the campus of the Athlone Institute of Technology. We are required to take at least 2 classes for the session and I am taking History of Religion in Ireland and a Special Projects class in Irish Storytelling Tradition. As part of my special projects class I will be required to blog about my experiences with Story and Ireland as they merge together...this is great cause I would have done it anyways!

We will also be traveling around Ireland on Fridays as part of the program and spending a week in Galway. One of the exciting parts of the trip is that I will be getting the opportunity to tell stories in the community with Liz Warren my story mentor supreme.

 My first project is an in-class telling of the Sons of Tuireann one of the 3 Irish Sorrows. I have a goal to have all three of the sorrows down by the time I return so this is a great start. I have begun the research and am on my way to crafting a "short" 10 minute version. This is a saga that can take up to an hour to tell so breaking it down into a 10 minute version is a really good exercise.

So there you are! Welcome to my Adventures in Story - The Irish Chapter...I hope you enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment